Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Leaving Cannes

Wow... so I thought I'd be so much better at keeping this blog up. It's been tough finding the time as well as sufficient internet. Time has also flown by pretty fast. I've been in France a little over 2 weeks... 2 more months to go!

I left Cannes early this morning and now I'm in Nice (just 30 mins away). Still in the beautiful French Riviera.

Even though I've left Cannes I don't want to forget about my time there... it's deserving of a full farewell post... so here it goes. My homage to Cannes, France.

"Oh Cannes... I never really got to know you the way you probably deserved. You're a small town off the French Riviera... and if it weren't for the festival only the rich would know you existed. But alas you are exploited once a year for two full weeks by the film industry and tourists flocking to see the spectacle.

Your locals rent out their homes for triple the normal rate and flee the nest, trying to get away from the tourist invasion. If I had more time I'd hang around a bit more and explore your true beauty, when the old and rich who reside within you come home to nestle back into cozy small-town life. Possibly it would have been better if it remained that way, but nevertheless you're known for one of the biggest film festivals in the world... and perhaps it's better to remain a famous name than an unknown one.

Has anyone coined the term, "We'll always have Cannes," yet? 'Coz it's just begging for it.

Cannes you've made me feel at home, and I mean that in the most literal sense. Having explored you during the festival, Americans were sprawled out everywhere, almost to the point where I wondered if I was actually in France or still in L.A. I almost felt like home had followed me here. Stars were hanging around left and right. Although I didn't get to see a lot of them, many of my colleagues did... just to name a few I wish I had seen were, Martin Scorsese, Ryan Gosling & Gael Garcia Bernal... instead I got Dean Cain (old superman) and Stellan Skarsgaard (O. Bloom's dad in Pirates), lucky me? Regardless, Cannes you have brought home to me... but wait, didn't I fly thousands of miles away to get away from home?

But I really can't complain. You're "little" festival has given my career an opportunity boost. Observing the trade and how things work in Cannes, I learned the business of Hollywood and making connections. I exchanged cards here and there, meeting people who could possibly present opportunities for me in the future. On the flight over I met a lovely woman who turned out to be a buyer of films who was based in L.A. We ended up having breakfast in Cannes the morning of her flight back home. Interning for a top PR firm based in L.A., has given me the chance to intern for them back at home during the summer, after I get back from my long trip. I also met some up and coming directors and writers, who may want to collaborate in the future. Not to mention a few great people whom I hope to remain good friends with for years to come.

I tried to experience you the best way I knew how, through your all access free film screenings (must have badge) that were in Competition or Un Certain Regard; even though you're probably better known for your hobnobbing of the rich and famous, with lavish yacht parties, red carpet premieres and ridiculously priced shopping. I barely got a taste of the excessiveness of Cannes, but truthfully a taste was just enough.

Overall thank you for the experience and the memories of my first Cannes. At times things were a bit lackluster but at others unforgettable. I'll always remember the frustration of not getting into a screening I wanted to because of the internship, or waiting an hour for the most unreliable shuttle ever, or never getting that damn 7pm red carpet moment because I never won the lottery for the ticket, or only being able to attend free happy hour at the short film corner only once (again because of the internship), or not getting my damn free flipcam (damn you flipcam competition!), or sneaking some gross caviar on a yacht with some expensive champagne, or standing the the freezing rain to watch Robin Hood of all things!, or crashing a random private party at the beach with free liquor!, or meeting all the great people who I hope to work with in the future.

Au Revoir Cannes, France... "We'll always have Cannes 2010!"

1 comment:

  1. this is an example of great blogging! =) Like I said, you're a budding great writer!!

    Love this entry; it made me laugh and smile with you... =)

    ReplyDelete