Monday, May 17, 2010

Internship

I wanted to get into a bit more extensive detail about my internship and what I've been doing, at least career wise.

I intern for a Public Relations firm. I probably show keep them nameless for now. They have offices in LA, NY, and London. The company is concentrated mainly on big business companies and film is just a small portion of what they do.

Since I've been here I've been helping them on a campaign for a 3D Animated Finnish Film called "Moomins." On an internship level point of view, it didn't seem as intense as I envisioned; but seeing the results brought me to realize a lot was put into it behind the scenes.

It's been a whirlwind of events involved in the promotion and campaign of Moomins.

The actors involved include Stellan Skarsgard, Alexander Skarsgard, Helena Mattson, Mads Mikelson and Bjork. Unfortunately due to the volcanic ash, some of the headliners couldn't make it here to promote the film. Bjork and Alexander Skarsgard (Trublood) were both slated to come, but weren't allowed by their "people" due to the inconsistency of the ash cloud. Instead Stellan, Helena and Mads came and so far its been three days of promotion madness.

Day 1 = The premiere party and world premiere of "Moomins 3D."

The party was on a yacht close to the Palais. The yacht never left the dock, apparently that's how yacht parties are, so it's almost like a house party on a boat. Anyhow the party was nice, champagne and caviar (which I tried and was disgusting... it'll stick with a burgar and fries), which lasted about 2 hours. The talent of course arrived about an hour in (fashionably late of course) and were interviewed by the press.

Helena Mattson (Iron Man2), gorgeous of course was a blond bombshell. She was wearing a beautiful cream colored evening gown with the highest heels known to man. I think with them on she was about 6" + so of course she towered over me.

Mads Mikkelsen (Clash of the Titans), was really chill and low-key... the kind of guy you would go out to a bar and have a beer with, while reminiscing about the "old days." He smoked a ton, and talked with everyone like they were his buddies from his hometown in Denmark.

Stephen Skarsgard (Pirates... Caribbean), extremely nice and jolly. On the yacht everyone had to take their shoes off, and he had the coolest colored/stripped socks on. I talked with him while waiting for the bathroom and he was like a cool father you'd be buddies with.


After the party was the premiere. It took place in a little theatre near the Palais. They let us sit and watch it. It was in 3D, which in theory seems exciting, but in actuality it made me sleepy. In fact I fell asleep through half of it. Granted I was exhausted, but the 3D was so dark, I couldn't help but close my eyes... plus the movie is really for 4 year-olds. Also, it might have been a little too European for me.

Day 2: Press day on another yacht.

We found ourselves on a different yacht this time for the press interviews of the actors.

It was a gorgeous boat with gorgeous people. Basically if you were to cast a movie about a yacht, the crew on this boat would have already been a perfect cast... the plus side was that they were all very nice as well.


I got to have lunch on the boat with the other people from the firm, but for the rest of the day I was off the boat manning the "door." I was checking in press, as well as asking them to take their shoes off (apparently no shoes are ever allowed on yachts- which could be quite awkward for girls in fancy dresses that have to enjoy the night without shoes).


At first I wanted to chill on the boat, but soon I was grateful I was off it. The clouds weren't friendly to us that day... and basically about 2 hours in, it went from a gorgeous sunny day to a mini-storm. It was much warmer off the boat, plus I got to keep my boots on and my nice winter jacket. Thank goodness I was prepared.


Day 3



Another press day.

Everyone met at the beach across from the office. Since it was print media, it was a lot more low key and chill. The setting was a beautifully set up bar with red chairs against bright white walls... upscale, modern and somewhat exclusive. It was behind a restaurant, possibly the venue of some late night Cannes parties that required invite only. It was nice to be in there... feeling somewhat exclusive... but it didn't last very long.

The actors came and sat in different corners with different reports. They had and allotment of 15mins each. Once it was up the actors go up and went to a different corner, like speed dating for interviews.

I basically did the same thing. Checked in press as they came along. It was freezing cold... so I was relieved when they decided to send me back up to the office and help Niki. The other intern Jennifer took over... when I saw her again 4 hours later, lets just say she wasn't a happy camper.

I've been editing and re-editing this particular blog post for the past week. It's Friday, the second to the last day of the festival... and I almost barely remember those days. I know it was just last weekend, but when a lot goes on during a week, its easy to forget what just happened.

Anyhow... I'm personally over talking about this internship. It ended yesterday and today is my first day off! I guess the fact that it took me forever to finish it, goes to show how busy I've been with it.

So... I'm ending this post and moving on with this internship and my life... on to better things as I travel along...

No comments:

Post a Comment