Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The first official day










After only getting two hours of sleep (mainly because my room was freezing), I got up at 8:30am for breakfast. Surprisingly, I wasn't that tired... yet. Also surprisingly, breakfast was actually good.
The hotel had a little section for making your own eggs, which is kind of a fun thing to do in the morning (although it never seemed that fun at home). There were a variety of breads - croissants, toast, etc. and a nice selection of fruit and cereal. I made two scrambled eggs with ham and grabbed a croissant and kiwi to balance things out. I had the coffee but that ended up being a bad idea later in the day... I won't get into details.
I sat with the ladies from my room and we talked about our expectaions for the trip... all of us crossing our fingers for a successful internship.

I was partnered with one of my roommates with the PR firm Rogers & Cowan. I did a little research and they seem to be a pretty reputable PR firm based out of Los Angeles, New York and London. A PR firm is a good place to be at a film festival like Cannes. Our first meet was later that afternoon... but first a mandatory tour of Cannes.

Thinking it would be a simple walk, I wore some "kind-of-comfortable" shoes. After 45 mins of walking, my feet were throbbing with pain. The walk to the main center of Cannes was a pretty one however, along the coast of the French Riviera.
But I think I'd still rather take the shuttle.
We walked around Cannes and the main theaters where things were being played, was pointed out to us. It was quite a sight to see with tons of Americans looming around everyone. It almost makes me forget I was in France.

The French Riviera is beautiful though.

After the long walk, I got my first look at Cannes, France... and its not quite what I expected. I think I had visions of tiny cobble streets and a massive amout of people trying to cramp up in one little area. But, its actually quite big. Maybe not huge, but it was like I was in Santa Monica at the promenade. It was still quite a site to see. It's probably the only place in France you'll see almost more Americans than French... at least until the festival is over.

After our "tour," which by the way was one of the most confusing tours I've ever been on - "What was the name of that street? Rue what?" My feet were aching and I was starving. But first, more important business to attend to... getting my Cannes credentials!

The "Cannes ID" card is you're all time access to every movie playing at Cannes, even the big red carpet ones. I found out later how it works. Basically you're badge has numbers on it that allows you to sign into the Cannes sight. You get a certain amount of points for movies in the Grand Theatre Lumiere - this is where all the red carpet films are shown. Also if you use up points, you continue to rebuild them for every film you don't watch. If you can log in on time, request early enough and have enough points... you can actually get the chance to walk the red carpet with the stars! Granted you walk on the side and they usher you up the stairs so the stars are on the carpet unbothered. Anyhow... that's how it works. We'll see if I'll actually get to walk the carpet with the stars...

After getting my credentials (they almost had a problem finding me and I also cried... but they found it... whew) I grabbed myself a panini and ate with my heart's desire. I love French street food!

I decided to make the 20min walk back to the hotel and amazingly ran into my classmate Bart! I knew he would be in Cannes since his documentary made it into the short corner, but I didn't think I'd actually run into him on the street. We said we'd contact each other via email and meet up one of these nights... got to support Art Center...

Walking back to the hotel along the French Riviera was pretty amazing (although, I will have to say some Cali beaches seem nicer and bigger). It was a hot day and I couldn't resist dipping my feet in the water.

As I sat and watched the waves hit the shore I thought a lot about home. How at home, I have the beach where similar waves hit a similar shore, just on the other side of the world. How, the water that touched my feet could be the very same water to touch my feet back in L.A. Water is constantly moving and changing... like people. It roams around the world, travels and leaves its origins... from the ocean to the air, to the sky to the clouds, and back down to earth, where the ocean meets it again. It was like I was home...

No comments:

Post a Comment