Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Loving Munich and beautiful Bavaria




Surfing in Munich
Mexico vs. South Africa World Cup game.
















Hohenschwangau Castle where King Ludwig II grew up.

Neuschwanstein Castle in Fussen, Germany - the castle they based the Sleeping Beauty castle on.











*Note to self - traveling and writing is not an easy task.

Anyhow I will attempt to recap my amazing time in Munich and the rest of Bavaria.

Germany was definitely what I expected it to be - full of beer, fun and amazing tales of history and fairy tale lands. I couldn't be more satisfied with my time there and despite my three days, I wanted to stay longer.

Gaby and Zimmi turned out to be amazing hosts! They showed me around almost everyday, driving me in their scooter. Unfortunately it was only made for two, so Gaby had to take the subway often! Sorry Gaby! I basically got to see all of Munich on the back of a scooter, even until the last second when I was about to board my next train.

They invited me to a private football game event for the Mexico vs. South Africa, the first game of the World Cup. I wasn't certain if I would enjoy it since I'm not really into football/soccer, but I decided to give it a try. I ended up having the best time - free beer, a large screen, and eighty screaming Mexicans yelling "Me-hi-co!" It was a private party held by the Mexican consulate of Munich. Was I back in LA? Overall a lackluster game, but a great party with Mexico and South Africa tied 1-1. Since then I've been keeping up with football all over Europe!

Afterward, we walked around the massive English Gardens (possibly bigger than Central Park), and saw all the young kids in their bathing suits drinking beer and jumping in the river. The best part was the section where they actually go surfing! Apparently people have been surfing illegally there for 20 years, but it only became legal a year ago. The fast shift of water from the river to the canal, causes a big rift which results into an amazingly consistent wave. People line up in rows to surf, and after one wipes out, then next person in line is on their way. Simple yet very dangerous, considering you could hit your head against either side of the two narrow walls surrounding the river.

Finally it was time for dinner! Off to the famous Hofbräuhaus München, where getting pints of beer is a must and fellow tourists are just a table away. According to Zimmi, this is where Hitler used to hang out and have a beer when he needed a little R & R. I drank a full pint (bigger than the size of my head) and Zimmi and Gaby were quite proud. I had my wiener, my sauerkraut and my beer; I was good to go.

On one of my days there I took a train to the town of Fussen, about three hours away, to go and check out one of King Ludwig II (King of Bavaria) castle, Neuschwanstein. It was his very last castle before he died, and he lived in it less than a year. It took 17 years to build, but was never finished, and construction stopped as soon as he died a mysterious death.

King Ludwig II was obsessed with castles - seven in total; with Neuschwanstein as his last and best obsession. It was a true fairytale castle, also why Disney used it as their muse for the now famous Sleeping Beauty castle. I took a tour inside and it was as amazing inside as it was outside. With a luxurious chapel and chandelier that weighed over 2,000 lbs, a music hall with built-in sound enhancements, a bedroom that took wood carvers three years decorate, and an artificial cave leading to his private study, no wonder it was his greatest treasure. Had it been finished, it would have truly been the fantasy he always dreamed of. I have no photos because it wasn't allow, but being a rebel, I secretly took video with my camera as I hid it under my sweater. Totally worth the risk.

And to cap off my time in Munich, I visited the infamous Dachau concentration camp.
Dachau concentration camp- now a memorial; was certainly the most depressing, surreal and sobering part of my trip. For this reason, I choose to write about it in a separate entry, along with my Anne Frank House experience in Amsterdam. I want to concentrate and go into depth on my thoughts and feelings as I walked through this former death camp and give it the attention it deserves as a sobering remembrance of a sad and regretful past.

As of now, I wanted to focus on my positive experiences in Munich and how I will always have fond memories of the beer, monuments, and my MJ enthusiast hosts Zimmi and Gaby.
Munich is by far my favorite place in Germany!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You finally updated your blog! I should update mine, but I can't...cuz it's top secret as you know, lol. :) It's so trippy to see Mexican flags and colors in Germany, haha. You drank that whole beer? Wow, and you weren't buzzed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (toward the end of post) spoken like a true german! lol =)

    And that is one heck of a "pint"! of beer! geez! =p

    ReplyDelete